The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) measures the language proficiency of people who want to study or work where English is used as a language of communication. It uses a nine-band scale to clearly identify levels of proficiency, from non-user (band score 1) through to expert (band score 9).
IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training
IELTS is available in two test versions: Academic – for people applying for higher education or professional registration, and General Training for those migrating to Australia, Canada and the UK, or applying for secondary education, training programmes and work experience in an English-speaking environment. Both versions provide a valid and accurate assessment of the four language skills: Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking.
Everyone wants to improve upon the English skills now days as it important as well. Looking for right institute that can provide you best language skills might be confusing for you. Language proficiency or foreign education is a dream of every student or professional and good communication is the backbone of your career.
English is the official language of no less than 49 countries. The massive means of communication, the needs that modern life settles, and the high standards in quality required for leaders companies and the basic needs English itself establishes.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is a standardized test that is obligatory for most graduate schools in the United States of America. Educational Testing Service (ETS) non-profit organization created it and is its governing body, the exam intents to calibrate quantitative reasoning, analytical writing, critical thinking and verbal reasoning skills that have been accrued over a long period of time and that are not linked to any specific department of study.
The GRE is a computer-based exam supervised at Prometric testing centers around the globe. In the graduate school admissions process, the level of attention that is given upon GRE scores diverge widely between schools and their departments. The prominence of a GRE score can differ from merely being an admission formality to an important selection factor.Read More
GRE test is categorized into two types. The GRE General Test evaluates quantitative reasoning, analytical writing, critical thinking and verbal reasoning skills – the skills required in today’s challenging graduate and business school programs – as well as the GRE Subject Test that measures knowledge of a particular field of study helping students stand out from other applicants by emphasizing their knowledge and skill level in a specific subject.
The overall testing time for the computer-delivered GRE® revised General Test is about three hours and 45 minutes. There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the third section.
Structure of the Computer-delivered Test
An unidentified unscored section that does not count toward your score may be included and may appear in any order after the Analytical Writing section. Questions in the unscored section are being tried out either for possible use in future tests or to ensure that scores on new editions of the test are comparable to scores from earlier editions.
An identified research section that does not count toward your score may be included in place of the unscored section. The research section will always appear at the end of the test. Questions in this section are included for ETS research purposes.
The Analytical Writing section will always be first. The Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and unidentified/unscored sections may appear in any order; therefore, you should treat each section as if it counts toward your score.
Test Design Features
The advanced adaptive design of the GRE revised General Test allows you to freely move forward and backward throughout an entire section. Specific features include:
- review and review capabilities within a section
- “Mark” and “Review” features to tag questions, so you can skip them and return later if you have time remaining in the section
- The ability to change/edit answers within a section
- An on-screen calculator for the Quantitative Reasoning section
PTE Academics- Pearson test of English Academics is an advanced computer based test which is taken as a proof of English proficiency of the candidates who are aspiring for higher studies in abroad as well as for immigration purpose ( Australia). The Test is authorized and commenced by Pearson Publisher of Britain and EdExcel group , which is Australia’s largest examining body.
The PTE Academics is endorsed by GMAC ( Graduate management admission council ) And worldwide recognized and accepted by thousands of prestigious institution in the UK, Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland and many more around the Globe including INSEAD, Yale University, London Business School, Harvard Business school “PTE Academics” is also approved by Australian Border Agency and the Australian department of immigration and citizenship for visa application.Read More
There are 3 parts of this examination which lasts for approximately 3 hours- Speaking& writing, Reading and listening with additional 10 min break after Reading section. The scores are normally valid for 2 years.
Exam Scoring pattern :
- Overall Score, 70 to 91 task, 20 different task types.(Score range from 10 to 90)
- Communicative skill score, speaking, writing, listening and reading( Score range from 10 to 90)
- Enabling skill score. Grammar, oral fluency, pronunciation, spelling, Vocabulary and written disclosure .(Score range from 10 to 90 )
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- TOEFL, formally known as “Test of English as a Foreign Language”, is an English proficiency test for those non-native English speakers who want to study overseas, in English speaking countries.
- It was first administered in 1964.
- The TOEFL test is the most widely respected English-language test in the world, recognized by more than 9,000 colleges, universities and agencies in more than 130 countries, including Australia, Canada, the U.K. and the United States. It also stands in need of other English speaking countries.
- It is administered by Educational Testing Services (ETS) and is taken at various locations in India, as Internet Based test.
- TOEFL score is often a benchmark for awarding scholarships
- It is also mandatory for various Government agencies, licensing bodies, businesses and many institutions. TOEFL score is valid for 2 years.
COMPONENTS OF TOEFL
- Refers to Internet based test of TOEFL
- It Takes about 4 hours
- Scores are marked from 0-120
- Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking involves integrated tasks
- Refers to paper based test of TOEFL
- No more applicable in India. Still is in process in some meagre countries which lack in internet services.